13262538

Sorry dont know what category to place this under, dont even

sorry dont know what category to place this under, dont even know if you can help. i had a nikkah on the 20/04/14, with an Imman, it was reguistered at the Mosque i signed papers and have the certificate and paid, performed in bournemouth at a place that
is registered to perform marriges. at the time we thought it was a religious marrige only, but still a marrige we have been living as man and wife ever since to us were married even if not 'legal'. i need a new passport soon so contacted the registry office
to arrange for a legal marrige to be told that my nikkah is possibly legal and that i need to contact a lawyer. now im very confused as by all the registra was saying / asking looks like my religious marrige is actually valid?? if so how do i go about to get
it all sorted? all the registra could advice was get a lawyer....what type of lawyer do i need? ....thank you
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.have you contacted the Mosque involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes still waiting to hear back from them
What paperwork did you receive from the Imam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were given a nikkah certificate we had to sign and put our details on
Right - but no formal Marriage Certificate of the Uk type?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thats why we thinkwe need to have a legal marrige atthe registry office. But registrat thinks otherwise
Ok - and did you give Notice of your intention to "marry" - was it publicised anywhere - in writing or read out in the Mosque?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We dont think so but i never went to the mosque and my husband didnt either as the imam was a replacement sorted out a few weeks before as our local one double booked himself. We delt with them via email. Dont belive they did they didnt have a month just couple of weks and i believe its a four week notice period so no notice wasnt given.
Another reason we didnt think we were legally married.
They did take id from us and write it down and our witnesses we had 2 they signed the papers.
In that case no you are not legally married in the eyes of the State and do need to go through a Civil Ceremony as well.Simply go back to the Registrar and confirm that it was a religious ceremony only and make the necessary arrangements.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details