13262538

My ex-wife has just inherited c£950,000 (after tax). I pay

My ex-wife has just inherited c£950,000 (after tax). I pay £666 per month spousal maintenance, no child maintenance any more. Can I expect to cease my payments?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.When was the Spouse maintenance order made - and was this an unexpected inheritance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the order was made 3rd Sep 2003. Not sure what you mean by "unexpected". Her father died (everyone dies), although at no time was I made aware of the level of inheritance that would be forthcoming, so the fact it is a such a substantial amount was unexpected to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare - is that enough info?
When is the maintenance actually meant to end - and why was it set so high?How long were you married?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The maintenance is joint lives. The level was negotiated during the divorce - I am a reasonably high earner, c£200k p.a. We were married 9 years
Unfortunately you cannot simply cease payments - you will need to apply to the court for either a downward variation or an outright dismissal based on the fact that either she now has an income form investments - or that she has used the capital to decrease her income deedsThe starting point will be to try and discuss this with her using Family mediationwww.familymediationhelpline.co.ukbut if that is not successful then an application to the court has a good chance of successI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I was aware of the process I needed to follow, I just wanted an expert opinion on whether I had any chance of success - and looks like you have confirmed that I do have a good chance.I'll look at the mediation angle as well as I'd rather not go to the expense of a court case although I expect I will need to engage a solicitor as my ex- is generally noncommunicative
Yes I think you have an excellent chance of success - I hope all goes well