ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I want to change my sons name to double barrelled ( to both

Customer Question

Hi I want to change my sons name to double barrelled ( to both mine and his biological father) he currently only has fathers surname.
My son is 11 and no longer has contact with his father but his father who has PR will not given permission - what can i do ?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
The permission of the father is required if he has PR.
If the father won't agree then you can apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order for the matter to be determined. Form C100. Send to Local Family Court. Fee is £215. Before you can make an application to the court you must refer the matter to mediation to see if the issue can be resolved by agreement. There are lots of mediation services and there will be one close to you. One such national service is www.nfm.org.uk
I am sorry to say but the current position of the court is very much against changing a child's surname. The surname of a child is often considered the heritage link and the courts will consider this should be retained.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively. no credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks , I am not removing the fathers name I am double barrelling to add mine so the heritage link will be there. Unfortunately I have no way of contacting the childs father to mediate

It is unfortunate that you don't have his details to mediate.

This could also slow down any proceedings as the court will likely want to satisfy itself that he has had knowledge of the proceedings. Perhaps consider instructing a trace agent now to find the father.

Whilst double barrelling a surname is seen as a compromise - the current opinion of the court is still against changing the surname at all.

Your best option is to try and get father to agree out of court - so a trace agent might be worth considering.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positively