13262538

I divorced on 6th August a settlement has been agreed and paid

Customer Question

I divorced on 6th August a settlement has been agreed and paid so all is sorted. We have two children 10 and 12 for which he pays maintenance of £650 pm. What is the allowed length of time before I can cohabit or remarry there seems to be some confusion. My ex husband and I had been apart for nearly two years prior to our divorce.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDo you mean that the Decree Absolute - the second and final decree was made on 6th August.Has there been a financial Order sealed by the court - if so what did you say about your future plans on the Statement of Information for a Consent Order that you will have filled in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes decree absolute on 6th. Only maintenance for children awarded. Clean break settlement. Award if £177,500 to buy home for me and children. No other awards or conditions.
When the Order was made you had to fill in a form like this onehttp://www.jordanpublishing.co.uk/system/redactor_assets/documents/813/D81.pdfWhat did you say on it about your future plans
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't fill in anything there was no mention of future plans on either side. Also as it was a clean break settlement does that not mean it is all finished. My solicitor at the time just said don't be silly and get married the week after your decree absolute so I just wondered what an approved period of time was.
If there was a clean break order sealed by the court one of those forms MUST have been filled inIf there was in fact no order - then you can simply get married whenever you want!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for delay if I had completed the form and ticked the box I have no intention of remarriage etc what is the procedure then? I don't think I did and there is also nothing in place for access to the children it was left that he could see then when he wanted if it was convenient
The Financial settlement would not have any details of the arrangements regarding the children.It would be a separate document that sets out the agreement regarding the £177,500.If you did tick that box then it would be best to wait for sic months before remarryingClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare I didn't know if it meant forever and a day! It's not on the cards but who knows what may happen in the future.
Oh I hope happiness is in the future- in whatever form it takes!