13262538

Can my ex stop my children contacting me when they're with

Hi. Can my ex stop my children contacting me when they're with him? I feel it constitutes emotional abuse and takes away the child's rights. Many thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old are he children and how long are they away from you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are aged 8 and 7 and they are away from me everyother weekend. They not have phones they can text me on and FaceTime me on and their dad agreed to this. So they took their phones to his this weekend but his new partner didn't like them contacting me and their phones were taken off them and hidden. Now they've been told they can't contact me while at his. They are very upset today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - to clarify we have 50:50 custody but the longest they're away is the weekends.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How often do they speak to their father when they are with youHow often did they usually ocntact you at the weekend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they want to ring him they can but they tend to not want to. There has been no way for them to contact me before this weekend.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So in fact they have not been able to contact you in the past at the weekends - there is no history of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not really. I bought them prepaid mobiles one for my house - for their dad to ring them and vice versa and one for his house. But again he hid the phone at his house from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was a while ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long are they actually away - friday to sunday or friday to monday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friday to Monday.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long has this been happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since we separated about 4 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
May I ask why this has suddenly become an issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The girls said that their dad had said it was fine for them to have their phones over his and he put in the wifi password ***** his house. Then all of a sudden it's not ok with him. I guess I'm overreacting?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No not necessarily overreacting since you thought you had agreed matters.It is thoughtless and possibly even selfish - but it is not emotional abuse and does not breach the children's human rights.I suggest that you express your disappointment and point out that the children are always free to ocntact him at any time.Privately remember that there will come a time when the mobile phone will merely be an extension of the children's hands and there will be no question of removing them!I am sorry not to be able to solve this for you - but please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your advice.