Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My wife and I are getting divorced (adultery on my part,

Hello, my wife and I are getting divorced (adultery on my part, although emotional separation was in effect long before that). We have been married 8 years and my wife has never worked nor made any financial contribution to our living - I have always and remain 100% responsible for all living costs, mortgages, investments, etc. My wife says she has seen a lawyer (I have not yet) and says she has been advised that it is unreasonable to expect her to get a job now (She is 50) and I must give her one of our three properties to own exclusively (but I continue to be liable for all the costs), plus half the proceeds of sale of the other two when they are sold, plus half my entire pensions (I too am 50) and savings plus a monthly allowance such that her lifestyle is not affected. We have no children but I have a child with my new partner. I am reticent to get into a legal fight and I want to be reasonable and fair, but this seems an excessive series of expectations of me. Is a family judge likely to accept such a division of assets and expect me to continue to effectively fully finance my wife so she does not have to work (she is fully able bodied and healthy).?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Let me see if I can help - a family judge will start from the perspective that all of the assets should be shared on a 50-50 basis. I do not agree that the judge would take the view that your wife at 50 can not try and find employment - I do not agree that it would be unreasonable to find work - but the court would look at both of you and come to what is considered by the court to be fair. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Thomas, that is what I would hope. Would that be 50% of all assets accrued during the marriage or simply 50% of all assets accrued at the time of the split regardless of their provenance and age (e.g endowments and pensions I took out that are soon approaching 25 year maturity - would the starting view be 50% of the portion accrued during the last 8 years or 50% of the full value)? Regards Steve
They would be looking at 50% of the full value pot - happy to discuss. Please rate positive
I hope that this helps - please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies, been in a meeting, yes it does thank you.