ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have a son, now 8 weeks the result of a 4 week relationship

I have a son, now 8 weeks the result of a 4 week relationship with one night intimacy.
Despite being on the pill I got pregnant. The father is not on the birth certificate and I
am not receiving any financial support which I declined.
Does the father of my son have any parental rights?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
If the the father is not named on your sons birth certificate then he does not currently hold any parental responsibility for him.
Please do however be aware that the father could make various applications at court including for declaration of parentage and also an application for a Child Arrangement Order in respect of spending time with your son.
It is the courts perspective that children should enjoy a relationship with both if their parents unless there are child protection concerns.
Before any application could be made to the court by the father - he would have to first refer the matter to mediation - otherwise the court would reject his application. Mediation seeks to help you both agree the time that your son should spend with the father.
The father would have to demonstrate his commitment to your son - it wouldn't be in yours son interests if the father wasn't committed.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively - your question will not close and I can answer your follow up questions for free.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have agreed that the father of my son can see him twice a month in my house.
My worry is the Rock n Roll lifestyle his father leads and the company he keeps. Can I refuse for his father to take
him out as he gets older?