13262538

My son and x partner split years ago the child is now 12 years

my son and x partner split years ago the child is now 12 years old and wants to either live with his father or me and the wife. how old does he have to be to make that choice
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhy does he wish to move and would he need to move school?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not happy at home and he would not have to move schools
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is my answer
My apologies.Has he told his mother how he feels?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no more questions just an answer please i am waiting
I am sorry but in family law it is important to have all the necessary information first - as it is the minor details which can change the outcome.At 12 the child's wishes are of great importance - and may well be decisive in any court application.However it is equally important that the right steps are followed to ensure the outcome that is wanted.Your SON needs to arrange a mediation appointment to discuss matters with his ex using a family mediator trained to work with young peoplewww.familymediationhelpline.co.ukIf his ex will still not agree then he can apply to the courts for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the child lives with himI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details