ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

Can my x husbands wife adopt my child.

can my x husbands wife adopt my child.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- how old is your child?
- do you have a relationship with your child? how often is this?
- does your child live with your ex?
- does your child have a relationship with your wider family?
- has your ex talked about adoption or any type of formal arrangement?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my child is 14, she lived with me all her life until recently. i now see her every 2 weeks. via a court order. my child has contact with my mam as her grandad died recently. my ex just does not talk at all would rather stab me in the back its been like that since my daughter was born.
Thank you for your response.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing with your ex.
As you and your mother are both having a relationship with your daughter - a court would be highly unlikely to approve an application to adopt her made by the step mother.
Adoption is permanent and it severs the legal relationship between the parent and the wider family. This type of application would also put your daughter in a difficult position - having to choose between different adults. I do doubt that the step parent would actually take the step of making such an application to the court.
The court would also give high regard to your daughter's wishes and feelings - given her age. If you have a good relationship with your daughter then there is no reason why this link should be severed.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats the thing with it my daughter is not being positive with us at this moment in time. and has said she doesn't want to see me. she thinks when she comes to see us at the minute that she can talk to us like we are dirt.
I am sorry to hear that.
I still do not think that the court would approve an adoption and sever a permanent link on this basis.
It might be worth considering making a referral to mediation to see if you can help improve the communications with your ex and your daughter.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its been a hard time. and i panick at times. my mam is prepared to get a restriction order over my ex, he will stop at nothing to try get my house from me and see me struggle. all over a very spoilt child. i gave up things for her to have what she got. cant see him going to mediation he would rather try destroy me.
I am very sorry to hear this.
I do hope that you are able to rebuild your relationship with your daughter. Your mother sounds very supportive.
Kind Regards
Caroline