How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34582
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Does a separation agreement need a stamp from court or from

Customer Question

Does a separation agreement need a stamp from court or from a solicitor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you A Separation Agreement cannot be signed by the Court and a Stamp from a solicitor will not make it any more enforceablePlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I just pay for one separation document to be made online, rather than paying £365 for a solicitor to make one?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You can do either - but if you want it to have a better chance of being enforceable face to face legal advice will help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what makes it binding and legal in the eyes of the government are the parties signing the agreement?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What makes it an agreement which the Family Court may respect is the signature of both parties - preferably after they have both had independent legal advice
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well