ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My husband died intestate and I believe I am entitled to a

My husband died intestate and I believe I am entitled to a life long interest in 50% of his estate. If this is true am I allowed to put this money into property as an investment? I would then let it, to give me an income. Can my late husbands children stop me doing this?
Also, what happens if I were to remarry or cohabitate? Am I still entitled to this money.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
New inheritance rules came into force on 1 October 2014 for people who don’t have a Will.
Under these new rules the 'life interest' has been abolished.
As the surviving spouse you will keep all the assets (including property), up to £250,000, and all the personal possessions, whatever their value.
The remainder of the estate will be shared as follows:
- you will get an absolute interest in half of the remainder (This means that half of the remainder is yours absolutely under the new rules)
- the other half is then divided equally between the surviving children. If a son or daughter (or other child where the deceased had a parental role) has already died, their children will inherit in their place.
You can choose to invest your inheritance as you see fit and you will not lose your right to this inheritance by co-habiting or remarrying.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate my answer positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband died in 2009 and I was only entitled to £125,000 but do the rest of the rule still apply?

Apologies in court this morning - will respond ASAP