Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

It it legal to say I was married to my partner if we were

It it legal to say I was married to my partner if we were not officially married but living together for more than three years, and he introduced me as his wife publicly?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
It is not illegal to say it. You are not really breaking any laws by making such a comment as long as it is not being said for financial gain. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your response " I am not really breaking any laws by making such a comment" leads me to think that this is not an absolute legal statement so I am still left uncertain. Please can you clarify whether I can count on your statement or not? Much appreciated...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond to me at :***@******.***
You can very much rely on the statement. It is not illegal in law to say that you are married, when you are no; just as long as you are not saying it for some financial gain. I hope this helps. Please now rate positive.
Can you please rate positive - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what I received from my late husband's son, a London solicitor recently:You cannot ignore this issue.There are too many legal consequences to you representing yourself as having married To my father.I am contacting third parties to inquire about your representations.Please note that a marriage revokes all Wills, therefore if you are holding yourself out as married there was no Will and no settlement.Please confirm that you did not marry my father, amend your social media details and correct that false assumption with third parties.If you continue to assert that you married To my father we will need to reassess whether you are legally entitled to any Estate monies.Yours,
I rather get the sense that he is understandably just very distressed. I hope this helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My late husband died 25 years ago. We have a son. This elder son from earlier marriage froze the, very fair, will for four years. I was left with a baby and no income at that time. I suspect that because a movie is about to be.made with some rather big stars portray him that there may be a large ish sum coming into the estate. My son and i receive a couple of hundred pounds a year from the will. Fir nearly 25yrs Nothing has been made of my saying we were married since his death - I am left wondering why now and whether there is another agenda behind this push from the elder son.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I do need to protect myself
I don't know about agendas - I simply answered the question which you asked me to answer. Sorry. Please rate positive for the original question.