13262538

I am the non resident parent (no contact at all) who has been

Customer Question

I am the non resident parent (no contact at all) who has been informed by CSA that Child Maintenance has been stopped as the child has left home to attend university. I have been told by the Mother of the child that I must continue to pay maintenance whilst the child is at university - which is correct the CSA advice or the resident parent? Was Paying £300 per month under CSA arrangements, I have other children (different relationship) who are attending university but I do not support them - they have student loans and work to maintain themselves - what advice can you give please?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youYour ex is wrong.Your CSA liability has come to an end.Your child him or herself COULD use Schedule 1 of the Children Act to apply for maintenance but they would have to show that their reasonable needs exceed their income from all possible sources!I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - what does sched 1 of the children's act mean - will they take me to court or is this done by some other means?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - it is the name of the section of legislation that your son/daughter would make the court applictaion underThe fact that you have other children who you do NOT support makes it unlikely that such an applictaion would succeed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Bearing you information in mind does my salary come into the equation even though the child who left my family home to attend university is paying his own way and has never asked for support.

Should I let this be known to my ex partner who is pushing for maintenance for the child who's CSA payments have stopped.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes your income does come into the equation - if you are a very high earner then there is more risk BUT your child will have to show that they have taken every possible step to finance themselves - including a part time job
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you. Is there a figure the court would impose should the case go against me?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No it will be base don the child's reasonable needs and income - but it will not be as much as the CSA assessment