Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My brother attended his second divorce hearing to try to settle

Customer Question

My brother attended his second divorce hearing to try to settle division of monies. In the first hearing, the judge stated that my brother's wife could not show sufficient evidence of trying to secure work (They have been married for 14 years and she has only worked for the first year - he owned the house and has paid for everything since, including her insistence on employing a London solicitor even though they live in Birmingham - this means both hearings have had to take place in London at his expense!).
The last judge said his wife must bring evidence to the second hearing to show her efforts to find work but today,this second judge didn't ask any questions about her work effort at all. It was as if the first hearing hadn't taken place - surely judges have to acquaint themselves with previous hearings? Today the judge started from 50-50, my brother mentioned his age, and the judge came down to him paying his wife a third - still in a different world to the previous judge, who commented "You will be receiving some money, Mrs ---, but it will not be a lot of money!". (He is in his late 50s and she in her 30s). Also, at the previous hearing, my brother had filed two Form E's (statements of assets, basically), but his wife hadn't filed her 2nd one. At this hearing, they'd got her 2nd one, but lost both of his! Can he do anything about this shambles and would it help him to buy expensive representation in the final hearing which apparently lasts 4 hours? Also how long will it take until the next court hearing as this has been hanging over my brother for the last year - can you request a quicker date?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat is the over all value of the assets - and please confirm that no Orders were actually made at this heraing