Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am in a new relationship with a mother of an 8 year old son.

i am in a new relationship with a mother of an 8 year old son. I have a criminal conviction and was sent to prison in 2010 for fraud. My new patner is worried that the childs father could use this to gain full access of her son. custody at the moment is 50/50 and there are no restrictions for either of them
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Criminal convictions do not necessarily mean that there will be child protection concerns. If the matter were to go to court, the court will assess whether there are any concerns which would affect the care of the child. A fraud conviction is not necessarily a child protection concern and I do not think that the father would have prospects of disrupting the current arrangements based only on this.
___
Please rate positively if you are happy with the response.