ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My father died 9 years ago, he and my mother have 'mirror wills'

Customer Question

My father died 9 years ago, he and my mother have 'mirror wills' to the best of my knowledge? I am quite sure my father insisted on both my brother and I as beneficiary to their house/estate. Over the last couple of years my mothers behaviour has become very irrational. She is easily influenced and has already been conned out of lending people money and not getting it back. She is now in a very controlling relationship with a man who was homeless and living in a hostel, but has just been given a flat by the local authority. My mother has been talking of selling the family home, im guessing to set up a new home with the new man. My gut instinct ( along with various other people) is that this man is out for what he can get. Is there anything my brother and I can do to stop my mother selling the house? My father was very clear that the house should end up with his dependants and no one else. Also, the deeds are still in a deed store, for some reason my mother cant get them, possibly because they are solely in my fathers name?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I would advise you to try and get more information.
Below are two links to help you search for probate, will and land registry information - if the property is registered it will show whose name it is in.
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
The bad news is that if your mum is the sole beneficiary by way of a mirror will then everything is hers and she can do with this as she likes. Even if the property is in your dads sole name - the land registry will accept an application for this to be put in your mums name if she is the sole beneficiary,
If however your dads will did provide for you and your brother - then you should receive those legacies - hence needing to know what the will says.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work