Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My 19 year old son has been told he is going to be a dad,

Customer Question

My 19 year old son has been told he is going to be a dad, i know he can apply for parental responsibility how much access is he allowed. He wants to have as much contact as possible
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
Are they married? If not then he should register hisnne on the birth certificate in order to gain parental responsibility as this would be the most straightforward way.
However, even if he is not registered on the birth certificate he still hahs a right to a relationship with his child and this is something that he should agree with the mother based on his circstances (eg. Work and availability) as well as the child's needs. It would be best for him go be as involved from birth so that contact can be regular, but it is difficult to say how much contact he should have but it should be a minimum of a few hours a week from birth and for it to increase as the child grows up.
___
Please rate positive if you found this helpful.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positive if you found the previous information helpful.