Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

On what grounds can social services ask me to leave my home?

Customer Question

On what grounds can social services ask me to leave my home? Do they need a court order? and on what grounds can they put my children on the child protection register? :lastly, on what grounds can they say i must be supervised with them?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Social services cannot ask you to leave your home. If you have a tenancy agreement in place the only way to lawfully remove you from your home is if a possession order is made to your landlord, and subsequently a notice of eviction is granted.
Your children can be placed on the child protection register if social services have concerns about the level of care you, or any other party who has care of the children provide them with inadequate care - the categories that this comes under is neglect, emotional abuse and physical abuse. Before they are put on the child protection register there will be investigations and thereafter a child protection conference where you are invited, along with the allocated social worker and all other professionals (such as teachers, medical professionals etc) where they will decide whether your case meets the criteria to be placed on the child protection register. If this is the case a child protection plan is put in place so that you undertake work to address the concerns raised.
Social services can put in place a supervised contact plan if they have concerns that you cannot provide adequate care to your children and if they are concerned that you may subject them to neglect, emotional or physical abuse.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a Family lawyer for 30 years and deal with Care cases.Social Services can ask you to leave the house is they consider you to be a risk to the children in some way.They cannot force you to leave - but they can tell your partner that if you do not leave then the children will be removed from his/her care.They can say that you need to be supervised if there is a risk of harm - either directly or because of domestic violence and again they can use the threat of Care proceedings to force your partner to agree to this.You can read more about the process herehttp://coventryscb.proceduresonline.com/chapters/p_cp_reg.htmlbut be aware that the typical action is to place pressure on your partner using the fear of removal to ensure that you leave the propertyPlease ask if you need further details
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positive if you found the previous information helpful.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not and you found the the information provided helpful please could you rate my response positive so that the question can be closed.