ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

What happens to any investments which occurrred after the

What happens to any investments which occurrred after the marriage?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask you to clarity
- after the date of marriage and whilst you are still married
Or
- after the date of separation?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it regards ***** ***** to me by my mother after her death whist still married.
Thank you for confirming this for me.
Please may I also ask:
- are you still married now?
- is divorce contemplated?
- what other matrimonial assets are there? House, car, pensions etc
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, still married but in the process of divorcing my husband.The other assets are the house, tool making machinery, a kit car and two cars. Old age pensions and a widows pension from BP and a small teachers pension and an annuity from CIS.
Thank you for confirming this for me.
A few more questions: -
- have you received your inheritance yet? If so when? How much?
- in respect of the other assets - what would you say the overall value would be?
- any minor kids?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the inheritance came in 2007 and was about £140,000.00. after invested it is worth approx £150,000.00 now.No children.
I am 69 and husband 78.
Few more questions:
- what are both your health needs like?
- have you always kept the inheritance separate?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, both reasonably healthy and yes The inheritance has always been kept separate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid for house improvements out of this money ie conservatory, double glazing,drive,solar panels etc.
Thank you for your further responses.
I must apologise for my delay in responding to you.
The extent to which the courts take inherited assets into account will depend on the circumstances of each case; such as the length of the marriage, the parties’ financial resources, their needs and how the assets have been dealt with during the marriage.
Inherited assets are often treated as non-matrimonial property, if there is sufficent other assets to meet both you and your husbands.
There is therefore no absolute answer that can be given as each case is decided on its facts. The facts of your case, given that there are other matrimonial assets, you are both in relatively good health - it could well be argued that the needs can be met from the matrimonial assets and that your inheritance can be ring fenced and not included. It also helps in your case that you have kept the monies in a separate account and not used the money for everyday living.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings