Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex husband has not paid child support years. He

My ex husband has not paid child support for four years.
He was suspended from his job and has spent the past four years fighting a legal battle.
He has now been awarded a large lump sum.
With this amount he is paying off his mortage, some debts and saving the remainder.
He states he has no child maintenance liability for the past four years.
Is this correct?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Just a bit more information required:
1. Has an application to the Child Support Agency ever been made? If so, what was their response / calculation?
2. Have you obtained a divorce and financial relief settlement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes prior to 2011 we had an agreement with the child support agency for £450 monthly. When my ex husband lost his job, payments ceased.
We divorced in 2003 and the court ordered a monthly amount to be paid by my ex husband. This was equal to the CSA guidelines.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Even if he was unemployed or on a low income he would still be liable for the "flat rate" of child maintenance of £5 per week and if he has not paid this then you will need to contact the child support agency so that they can deal with enforcing this.
In relation to the lump sum he has received, this is not generally "income" but could be taken into account when the annual review is done - you should also inform the child support agency about this.