Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My sons girlfriend walked out four months ago. She has never

My sons girlfriend walked out four months ago. She has never paid a penny towards the mortgage or the deposit of the house. Because she has debts of her own around £27000
She is trying to claim for 50% of the Equity. Is this possible or legal and what are her chances. My son has no money as such as he has always spent on trying to make the house a home. Your help wil be appreciated. KEN PENFOLD
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Just a bit more information required:
1. How is the property held - is it in your son's sole name or in joint names with his ex-girlfriend?
2. Has there been any formal agreement regarding the property and debts?
3. What are her £27,000 debts in relation to?
4. Please confirm that they are not married.
5. Do they have children together, and if so what are the arrangements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am currently not able to accept a phone call but can continue assisting you in writing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Property is in joint names, so that her name as added to the deeds etc. meant that they could get a larger mortgage.
2. NO
3CREDIT Cards. for her own use.
4 Not Married and No Children
5 I will pay for thies answers, on free trial. but I do not want to may monthly, as we have our own solicitor. BUT we are seeking a second and HONEST opinion.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
As the property is held in joint names, this is how it would be split upon sale. However, if your son has been paying the mortgage solely throughout the term then he could argue that he should be owed a greater share of the property. To be successful in pursuing this he would need to demonstrate that there had been an agreement that him repaying the mortgage solely would result in an increased share of the property if it were sold. If he cannot demonstrate this then the property would be shared 50-50 upon sale.
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThere may be more ways around this than you think.However I woudl need to know how much the house wis worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage and how much the deposit was