James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My husband and I have been living together since January 2003

Customer Question

My husband and I have been living together since January 2003 and we were married Scotland in September 2006. We moved to France in July 2007 and moved to England for his job in April 2014. We have 2 children (10 & 7) and we bought a family / marital home in both our names in November 2014. On 22nd October 2015, my husband tells me he wants a divorce. I am a stay at home mum basically and just prior to his announcement, I began working 8 hours a week in a retail shop. He is on a high basic salary of £80,000 plus bonuses and benefits. He has no grounds to divorce me and he had admitted that. Tonight, he has asked me to file for divorce, which I don't want to do and this is all moving too quickly for me. He also has asked me to sell the family home which I don't want to do. We've just relocated country and home and I don't want to uproot the children again. Also, to rent a 3 bedroom home in this area (Bicester) is just as expensive as our mortgage of £1,185. He wants me on benefits so that he doesn't have to give me so much money. I don't want to leave the property ladder as well because I'll never get back on. My questions are this: 1. Can he force me to sell the house? 2. Can he get a quick divorce? 3. What rights do I have for support at this time?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- in relation to your matrimonial home - is this in joint names?
- what other matrimonial assets are there - pensions, savings etc?
Kind Regards
Caroline