Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and I have been living together since January

My husband and I have been living together since January 2003 and we were married Scotland in September 2006. We moved to France in July 2007 and moved to England for his job in April 2014. We have 2 children (10 & 7) and we bought a family / marital home
in both our names in November 2014. On 22nd October 2015, my husband tells me he wants a divorce. I am a stay at home mum basically and just prior to his announcement, I began working 8 hours a week in a retail shop. He is on a high basic salary of £80,000
plus bonuses and benefits. He has no grounds to divorce me and he had admitted that. Tonight, he has asked me to file for divorce, which I don't want to do and this is all moving too quickly for me. He also has asked me to sell the family home which I don't
want to do. We've just relocated country and home and I don't want to uproot the children again. Also, to rent a 3 bedroom home in this area (Bicester) is just as expensive as our mortgage of £1,185. He wants me on benefits so that he doesn't have to give
me so much money. I don't want to leave the property ladder as well because I'll never get back on. My questions are this: 1. Can he force me to sell the house? 2. Can he get a quick divorce? 3. What rights do I have for support at this time?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
In response to your questions:
1. He cannot force you to sell the property, although he may pursue a court application to force a sale. Although as you have two young children their needs will come first and a sale is unlikely to happen without suitable alternative accommodation in place
2. Straightforward divorces can take anywhere between 6-9 months. However, as you are likely to have financial issues to also deal with it will possibly take quite a bit longer than 6-9 months.
3. If by support from your husband, the quickest option would be financial support through child maintenance options - for example based on his gross salary of £80000, and if the children on average stay over with him 1 night a week, he will be required to pay £217 per week child maintenance. For the rest of the finances I would suggest that you attempt mediation to reach an agreement - which is best done using an independent mediator. You can find local mediators here: www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk