Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter and her partner have split up. they have 3 children

My daughter and her partner have split up. they have 3 children 8 months, 2 years old and 7 years old. He wants the children 3 days per week Sunday to Wednesday. He works he wants his new partner who does not live with him to look after the children, my daughter wants to look after them in the day and take them when he finishes work. He is stating he can do what he wants with them on his days. He is violent and threatening to stop her seeing them at all. Where can we go for advise please.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If you have concerns regarding the time he spends with the children then you are within your rights to refuse his proposal. The children have a right to have a relationship, and contact with their father but this right does not extend to his new partner and the time he spends with them should be for him.
I would suggest the first point of call is to consider a referral to an independent mediator to attempt to reach an agreement that is in the children's best interests. You can find local mediators herehttp://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk