Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My Grandchildren are under a child protection order their father

My Grandchildren are under a child protection order their father is in Elmley prison and would like to see them and they want to see him. The social worker has said that the two older children can go but the two younger ones can not they are aged 9 & 5 as this is not a suitable environment for them and may have damaging effect on them. Can I take them and where do I stand legally if they express a desire to see him.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If the child protection plan states that the younger children do not see their father in prison, then you should abide by this plan as it will reflect negatively and may cause a change in the plan for the children.
However, the social worker should not be refusing contact between the father and the younger children due to only the prison environment. This should not be a factor as they have a right to have a relationship with their father and the social worker should propose a way to facilitate this. Prisons have facilities and rooms where contact can take place between parents and children and the social worker should be reminded of this. Furthermore, if the two older children are allowed contact as part of the plan, then the social worker should make efforts so that the relationship between all the children and father are equal.
Please do let me know if you have an further questions about this.