13262538

My ex and I have a joint custody agreement in place and both

My ex and I have a joint custody agreement in place and both live close. Usually this works well however over the Christmas period he goes to his parents house which is 2 1/2 hours away ans says I have to meet him half way up the motorway services to drop off and then pick kids back up for new year. I don't see this as fair as both he and the kids residence is local. He has said if I don't meet him on Boxing Day when he is picking the kids up, he refuses to bring them back on New Year's Eve, and I shall have to drive to his parents house to pick them up. Where do I stand on this?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old are the children?Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is 11 & son is 8
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How important is the usual reasonable relationship worth to you - or having the children New Years Eve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to miss having my children on New Year's Eve and will collect them if needs be but I don't feel it's right that I have to drive such a distance as my children live locally, and it's his own choice to where he spends Christmas. Also I have step children with my fiancé and I over this period which makes it difficult. I don't want to fall out with my ex and have said I would meet him 1/2 way on news year but because I won't agree to do this on Boxing Day. He has said that because I won't meet him on Boxing Day I will have to drive all the way to his parents on New Years.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What has happened in previous years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have met him as its fitted in with my plans
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that if you make an issue of this you will be setting a precedent for the future which will not be good.I do understand all to well how annoying it is BUT it is not unreasonable for him to spend Christmas with his wider family and to wish to have the children there as well.If this matter went to court it is likely that the Order would be that matters continue as they have done in the past - the Court is a great believer in the status quo.Having said that it is worth trying to resolve this using FamilY mediationwww.familymediationhelpline.co.ukand seeing if there is some compromise once it is accepted that you will do some of the travelling - maybe a couple of service stations closer.I know that this is not what you hoped for - but it is a realistic assessment of your position I am afraidPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome - it is a no win situation I am afraid - especially at this time of years