ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My husband has asked me divorce he has agreed I can have

Customer Question

My husband has asked me for a divorce he has agreed I can have a share of his future inheritance as part of the divorce settlement as mine from my parents was used to buy our home.this would mean I would be able to stay in this house as I could then buy him out as the figure would be lower.
We have been married for thirty one years separated for two he now lives with his girlfriend
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
How can I help?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband has asked me for a divorce he has agreed his future inheritance can be used as part of the divorce settlement.
this would mean I could stay in the house as I could then afford to buy him out as the figure would be less.
My inheritance was used to help purchase the house.
we have been married thirty one years separated for two.
May I ask:
- do you want to de divorced?
- are you happy with the agreement in respect of finances?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes to both questions we both agree it would be fair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have agreed to this but I am worried t might not be legal and may be thrown out in court.
Thank you for confirming this.
Best thing to do is to have a consent order drawn up by a solicitor to confirm what you have agreed in respect of splitting the matrimonial finances. This would cost around £300. Once completed and signed - send it to the court at the end of the divorce proceedings so that the court can consider the same.
If the court approves this - it becomes legally binding.
It is really important that this is done as if not - it is possible for future claims to be made - which makes the position uncertain for you both.
The court fee for this is £50.
Can I help you with anything further?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Just seen your further message.
You can just confirm in the consent order that the house is to be transferred to you and that your husband will have no claims in respect of this.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to confirm so long as he agrees we can you his future inheritance as part of the settlement.
Yes you can use this as part of your reasoning for the agreement you have reached.
As well as putting in the consent order that the house will be transferred to you, it will also be detailed in the consent order that neither of you can make a claim against each other in the future, which includes inheritance.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks seeing him tomorrow so can show him your emails.
you have put my mind at rest
Glad I could help.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Kind Regards
Caroline