ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have been married years., and now seeking a divorce

I have been married for 25 years., and now seeking a divorce which we mutually agree.My husband and I jointly own our home although he pays all the utility bills I have contributed towards all the grocery and household needs for all these years. We have a 23 year old daughter. Over the years my husband has caused the home to be so neglected that the property has diminished in value. I also own some property abroad which I had before I got married. He has made no contribution towards it in any way till date.
My question is that is he able to make a claim on this property ?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Your marriage has been a long one. This means that the starting point for the division of all assets is 50/50 - which will include the UK property and your property abroad. This also includes all other assets such as pensions, savings etc
Whilst the norm is 50/50 this can be departed from. The Matrimonial Causes Act sets out the factors that the court considers which include the earning capacity for both of you for the future, future Heath needs etc
If you really want to keep the property abroad then you could offset this against the other assets.
First step is to refer your case to Family Mediation. They will assist in respect of disclosure of all the of assets and negotiating a settlement. If agreement can be reached at mediation then you should have a consent order prepared for the court to approve the same.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work