ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

Can a woman force a man to have custody of a child?

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist.
Please may I ask:
- why is the mother saying this?
- is the father able to care?
- how old are the children?
- any other concerns?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mother wants the father to take responsibility now that she is failing in her responsibilities but wishes to keep joint custody. The father is able to care for the child and if responsibilities were changed he would want full custody. The child is 12 years old. The father is concerned for the welfare of the child. The child has significant behavior problems and the mother is unable or unwilling to deal with the childs problems in a way that the two parents can agree on. Therefore the question is can the mother force the father to have joint custody.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its not keep joint custody , I should have said the mother has full custody and wants to force the father into joint custody
Although the mother can't technically force the father care for the child when he cannot - I am concerned about what is being said about the mother.
Please may I ask:
- are social services involved?
- what are the wishes and feelings of the child?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
social services are now involved as of last night the mother had the child arrested and is in emergency foster care
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
In reality - now that the mother has been arrested - it may be the view of social services that the child cannot be properly cared for and may be at risk of harm in the mothers care.
It may be that the Local Authority look to the father to take over responsibility and care for the child. If the father is able to do this and the local authority support such a placement - then they may undertake an assessment of father before moving the child from foster care.
The Local Authority may also raise this case to care proceedings so that the court makes a decision as to the future care of the child.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the child that was arrested at the mother request not the mother being arrested. So the question still stands can a mother force a father into joint custody through the courts?
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
The answer still remains that the mother cannot force the father to have more time with his child then he is able too.
As the child is still in foster care - the Local Authority are still likely to be assessing both parents as to who can care. They may also still look to commence care proceedings to decide the long term care if the sons behaviour is such that it is not manageable by the mother.
Please do not hesistate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** been most helpful
You are very welcome
Please do not hesitate to ask If I can assist you further
Kind Regards
Caroline
If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our time