13262538

I have a voluntary court sanctioned maintenance agreement for

I have a voluntary court sanctioned maintenance agreement for my ex wife and two children. My wife has just started a well - paid job . Am I obliged to continue maintenance at the same rate or can I just stop paying the portion of maintenance allocated to her ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat is the split between spouse and child maintenance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pay a total of £5,500 a month and I think roughly 1/3 for each child ( son 15 years daughter 18) - I don't have the agreement with me ......
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
It is essential to know the exact wording I am afraid if you want some specific assistance - I can however give you an over view if you prefer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only expecting an overview ......
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delayIf the maintenance is paid under the terms of a Court order then you cannot simply stop paying any part of it as otherwise your ex can simply take enforcement action against you.The starting point is to try and discuss a reduction with your ex using Family mediationwww.familymediationhelpline.co.ukbut if this fails then you will need to apply to the court for a downward variation.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details