ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I understood that courts did not get involved in child maintenance

Hi I understood that courts did not get involved in child maintenance however I was reading through questions dealt by yourself and a person has wrote about a voluntary court order of child maintenance. Has the law changed can the courts get involved in child maintenance. Please advise
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question
You are quite correct - it is the Child Maintenance Service that Jurisdiction in respect of Child Maintenance.
That being said - it is possible for parents to agree a Consent Order, which a court can approve and this would be legally binding.
This tends to come about at the end of a marriage, when proceedings are being dealt with in respect of the matrimonial finances.
There is also the possibility for the court to make an order under Schedule 1 of the Children Act if the paying parents income exceeds the CMS maximum assessment. Schedule 1 children act claims can also be made in other circumstances where there is need for the child - such as provision for housing, school fees etc
Kind Regards
Caroline