13262538

HiI am naturalised UK citizen and have a child from previous marriage

I am naturalised UK citizen and have a child from previous marriage in Romania, for which I paid monthly maintenance 25% (as per court order.I paid the amount of an average Romanian wage. She is now almost 19, student at a university and as per local laws she is entitled to child maintenance during her studies up to 25 years of age. I have continued to send money monthly, paid the yearly university fee and sent additional amount when possible. Recently she went to a local court and demanded 25% of my UK income. The court citation was sent to my relative's address in Romania,my UK address being mentioned as well.
I feel like I am threatened and in a way blackmailed and I am tempted to stop sending her anything all together. Is this a bad idea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what are my responsibilities and rights as a UK citizen.
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How much is your income - and how much are the fees that you pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding Clare.
However I'm not sure I made myself clear; my question is, as a British citizen, can I stop payments to my Romanian daughter who has completed her A Levels ? or do I need to keep paying as the Romanian court order states - I pay until she's finished all her education up to 25 years old?
I have always paid 25% of a Romanian wage and sent additional yearly. I am still paying and have just sent her additional € 500.
Thank you for your prompt response.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that a Romanian Court Order can indeed be enforced in the UK - so if the Order will continue in Romania then yes you will need to continue to pay
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details