13262538

I am an Irish Citizen living in London currently married

Customer Question

I am an Irish Citizen living in London currently married to an Indonesia Citizen (who has UK Indefinite leave of remain also). We got married in Indonesia, 9 years ago and she came to the UK on EEA Family permit and then got her indefinite leave to remain.
We bought a house 7 years ago and have a mortgage under both of our names. She moved to Indonesia 1.5 years ago and filed for a divorce in the court in Indonesian court, 6 months ago.
I need to find out the following
1. Since we are not registered in the UK. Am I allowed to marry again ?
a. I am currently dating someone and hopefully want to marry her next year ?
b. She is currently in Indonesia also, can I bring as my spouse to the UK ?
2. She didnt pay anything for the house and is not paying any mortgage but the house under both of our names
a. Is she entitled to 50 percent share ?
b. What can I do to remove her name from the deeds and the mortgage ?
c. Is there a way I can remove her from the mortgage and the house altogether ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you1. No - you are married and there is no requirement to register foreign marriages in the UK. You cannot marry againOR bring your new partner to UK until you are divorced.2.A nine year marriage gives her a clear financial claim on the property and it is unlikely that the family court will stray much from a 50/50 division of the assets. You will need to buy her out if you wish to remove her from the deedsPlease ask if you need further detailsClare