ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My niece has been estranged from her birth mother on and off

my niece has been estranged from her birth mother on and off for a lot of years. she has been trying to make things work between them but to no prevail.
my wife and i spent about 7 years of her childhood looking after my niece as part of our family after her mother agreed to let her live with us, consequently because of the final disagreement with her mother we asked if she would like us to formally adopt her and she has agreed.
what would be the next step to get the ball rolling ? and how difficult is it potentially to do do this as she is 26 years of age?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist.
I am sorry to say that once a person reaches 18 they can no longer be legally adopted in the UK.
Kind Regards
Caroline