Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My question is a regarding an ongoing divorce application.

My question is a regarding an ongoing divorce application. The divorce is uncontested and we have now received the application for decree nisi. I had to call the court last week to ask them to resend the application as it was lost in the post and the court informs me then that they have received an email from the respondent who is now asking for financial assistance.
I have now sent the application for decree nisi but my concern is can the judge delay the divorce because the respondent has changed her mind and is now asking for financial help.
I am a 44 year old man and my wife left me and my teenage daughters 4 years ago. I have been looking after my kids since she left. The kids see her 2-3 times a month.
I just want the divorce to be completed as soon as possible.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
By financial assistance, do you mean a financial relief application? As she would be entitled to pursue this application regardless of the divorce being uncontested.
You can still proceed with the divorce itself, as if the decree absolute is granted neither of you have any claim against the other under inheritance rules, however, the decree absolute does not extinguish any financial claims that either of you can pursue in relation to the marriage.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 yearsIn fact the answer depends on which of you issued the Petition and which ground it was based on.In addition were the boxes relating to the financial claims ticked?With this information it will be possible to give a specific rather than a generic answer
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters