Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son left school june 2014 he decided to find a job instead

Customer Question

My son left school june 2014 he decided to find a job instead of staying in education hes been working for over a year now and I've carried on paying maintenance until his 18th birthday this November, he as decided to do an apprenticeship do i still have to pay maintenance, thanks for your help,
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
How old is your son and does he remain living with the other parent?
If he is 16, your duty to pay statutory child maintenance ends unless he goes on to an approved training course and the resident parent continues to receive child benefit - please check here to see if his apprenticeship is listed: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468198/Approved_list_of_ATAs_-_14.10.15.pdf
If it is, then legally you will be liable for child maintenance as long as he remains on the course whilst he is under 20 and the resident parent continues to receive child benefit.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.