Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I ve been said than I m a dad of a 10 years girl . if I do

Customer Question

I ve been said than I m a dad of a 10 years girl . if I do the paternity test and I m a the dad . do I have to pay the mum for the years past ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
When did you find out that you could be the father?
Your statutory liability for child maintenance will commence from when child maintenance calculation was formally made by the CSA/CMS. If you turn out not to be the father you can have the costs of the paternity test (if done through the CMS) refunded.
However, you will not be liable for child maintenance for the time before the CSA/CMS carried out a calculation.
If undertaking a paternity test without the CMS you should ensure that it is an approved organisation for testing, otherwise the CMS will not accept the result.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.