Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can my 14 year old daughter just decide she doesn't want to

Customer Question

Can my 14 year old daughter just decide she doesn't want to live with me anymore and move in with her Sister?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Can you confirm what the arrangements have been to date? Her sister does not have parental responsibility, therefore cannot make major decisions in relation to her upbringing. Therefore, for the placement to be practical she will need something formal in place, and this needs to be discussed with her sister.
If this matter went to court, the court will consider your daughter's best interests and take her views into account as she is 14. They will also need to ensure that her sister is able to meet her needs.
Could it be just a spur of the moment decision that your daughter has made?
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** she decide to live there or am I within my rights to go and bring her back home? Can the police help me bring her home if she is saying she wants to live there?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
No, she cannot make this decision herself. If her sister wishes to oppose her returning to your care then she will need to apply to Court.
I think you should write to her sister so that it is recorded down that you attempted to have your daughter returned to you. Explain to her that she has no legal authority for your daughter to live with her and threaten to call the police.
The police will assess the situation and if they are satisfied that there is no risk to your daughter returning to your care then they will inform her sister to return her. If there is a risk, then the police may put your daughter in police protection and involve social services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. My daughter and I had an argument over trivial stuff and she ran off to her sisters. Yesterday I tried to collect her from school early for a Dr appt and the school would not let me take her as she said she did not want to come with me, is this allowed?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
As you are her main carer they have to release her to you. They cannot release her to anyone else unless they have parental responsibility or you have provided your agreement. If they have concerns about her being in your care then they will need to inform social services, or in very serious circumstances, the police.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.