13262538

Ma'am, My father has passed away with no will but

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
My father has passed away with no will but I am the next of kin. However he is not on my birth certificate. Do I have any legal claim to any of his assets, pension etc.
Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Are there any other possible beneficiaries? Such as siblings or wife? Were your parents married at the time of your birth?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for 30 years.The fact that he is not named on the birth certificate is a problem - BUT it is not insurmountable if there is evidence that he acknowledged you as his child during his lifetime.If here is any one who is likely to challenge this you will need to apply to the Court for permission to have a DNA test.Please ask if you need further detailsClare