Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Ive been seeing a lady that is separated from her husband;

Hi, Ive been seeing a lady that is separated from her husband; they have two children.
He is making it difficult for us to see each other by saying that she is not to see me with or without the children.
I was wondering if he can do anything legally to back this up.
Many thanks,
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
How long have you been in a relationship with her and how old are the children?
Without the children he cannot really force her to stop seeing you, however, when the children are with her it is a reasonable request that any new partners do not have contact with the children until such time that the relationship would appear to be long-term and it has been agreed between the parents. You having contact with the children will likely cause them uncertainty and introduction into their lives would have to be a gradual process to ensure that it does not impact their emotional well-being.
If he feels that the matter is serious enough by you seeing the children then he can apply to court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent you seeing the children - however he will have to prove to the court that it is in the children's best interests not to see you and that it can have an undue influence on them.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.