Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm going through a separation and living in the house which

Hi I'm going through a separation and living in the house which belongs to her but we do have another property that we jointly have a morgage for but is rented to her son,
The question is what rights do I have?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Please confirm:
- if you are married or cohabiting with your partner
- whether you have any children together (and their ages)
- what contributions you have made to her property
- if there has been any domestic violence between you/reasons for the separation
- if your son has any children
- terms of the tenancy for your son
If you are not married, legally the property you are living in which is in her sole name will be hers only - but I will be able to provide you further information if you can confirm the above details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are cohabiting we don't have any children together and her son dosn't have any children living with him there has been no domestic violence not sure on the tendency agreement
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
What contributions have you made towards her property and do you have any agreement (eg. cohabitation agreement or agreement that any contributions will entitle you to a share of her property)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been paying her £300 per month as she remortgaged the house to help her daughter out
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, unless there has been explicit agreement that your contributions will entitled you to a share of the property you have no rights to claim a share of the property.
You are entitled to a share of the joint property in accordance to how the title is held.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou