Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and myself split up 4 years ago with no formal

Customer Question

My husband and myself split up 4 years ago with no formal divorce although I did sign a 2 year separation agreement. We came to a mutual agreement that I would remain in the family home with my daughter until she leaves school. I pay the mortgage and he
pays my utility bills instead of maintenance. I fear this may have been my amicable split short fall as the hmrc think now he still resides here and are investigating they want my utility bills mortgage statements, council tax phone bills and my bank details
back dated from a year. I realise now that my bills are still in his name. Is this proof of residence in beside myself now with worry. Many thanks ceri
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
The utility bills being in his name is ***** ***** that he still resides there. Is the council tax still in his name, and is he registered elsewhere for the electoral roll, as this will be helpful to demonstrate that he no longer lives there. If they query why the utility bills are still in his name, then your explanation is as you have stated - he pays these instead of maintenance.
The separation agreement will also help in arguing that he has moved out.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positively if you found this information helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked yes his name is ***** ***** council tax and mine is in my maiden name. No he is not registered as living here as currently he seems to live from place to place again I realise that doesn't help me!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
As long as he is registered as living elsewhere then this will assist your position. Again, the separation agreement itself will be most helpful in arguing this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.