13262538

I will need to make a skeleton argument and an opening

i will need to make a skeleton argument and an opening statement in a fairly intricate variation application for which a two day final hearing is scheduled. Are these supposed to be of a certain limited duration - or is 5+ page skeleton argument and a
1 hour opening statement not unheard of?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIIt is not unheard of - but it would not be welcome eitherYou need to really strip it down to the actual issues - the essential points and then build it up from thereFive pages for a Skeleton argument would be just about ok (provided we are talking about double spacing) and hour of an opening statement much less so - keep it short the evidence should speak for itselfClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank youso an 15-20 min opening statement would be acceptable or still on the long side?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Given the nature of the case - yes - 5 to 10 minutes is better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in such an opening statement - do i just present my own case, or do i already react to the witness statement of my ex, and address their likely line of attack pre-emptively?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You do not "present"your case.
You simply outline what your position is - you can certainly base it on what you believe their case to be - but again it shoudl be light on detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - i might benefit from attending a final hearing of someone else just to see the process. are these open to the public?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No I am afraid that family Hearings are not open to the public.
May i ask - what is the actual issue between you?