Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Deeds of my house are in my name only. I have agreed to add

Deeds of my house are in my name only. I have agreed to add partners name to deeds, would this cause any problems?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. As you are putting her name on the title deed, this will give her a legal interest in the property and therefore afford her rights upon sale, and a potential claim by her that she should receive a share of the equity. Also, if you are named as joint tenants on the title, your share will automatically pass to your partner on your death and vice versa. Whereas if you are tenants in common your respective shares (whether 50-50 or unequal shares) will pass in accordance with your will or if there is no will in place under intestacy rules.___Please rate positively if you found this helpful.