Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have received a demand from the CSA stating i owe them

Hi, I have received a demand from the CSA stating i owe them £1800.00 from period 1999 to 2001 I have 3 children which i paid CSA when i was working, at this time i was not working, can they make me pay this and go back as far as this period?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
If there was a child maintenance decision at that time and you had not paid then yes, they can claim for that far back. They should put in place a payment plan and they have to claim it back in a two year period. However, you should be requesting a detailed breakdown of what is outstanding and they should provide this to you to assess and cross-reference with the payments you have made.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.