Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm 5 months pregnant and split from the biological father

I'm 5 months pregnant and split from the biological father does he have any rights to the child ?
He has a violent background and is currently undergoing community service. I had only been with him 14 weeks when we split. He has been following me and taking photos sitting in his car outside my house and my fathers house.
Can I get an injunction against him? How long will it last?
Do I have to give him information on scan dates?
I am worried for my life and families life with his history, please can you advise
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
The child will have rights to have a relationship with the father, however, if there are concerns about the level of care that the father is able to provide then these risks will need to be assessed to decide under what conditions he is allowed to see the child (eg. supervised contact centres).
If you are married at the time of the child's birth, or if the father is named on the birth certificate then this will give the father parental responsibility and therefore he will have rights to be involved in the child's upbringing and be consulted in relation to major decisions - such as education, religion and travel abroad.
Initially if he continues to harass you, you should contact the police who will be able to deal with this. However, if he continues this and you are afraid of his actions you can make an application to court under form FL401 to your local family court for a non-molestation order, which is an injunction. The terms can include things such as not to go within 100 metres of your home, contact you or instruct other people to do so. If he breaches the non-molestation order then you will be able to contact the police as the breach is a criminal issue.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.The first thing you need to know is that your ex cannot take any legal action until the child is born. You do not have to give him any information regarding your pregnancy at all - you do not even have to tell him when the child is born.If he is continuing to follow you the report the matter to the police immediately - this is much more effective than applying for an injunction - especially with his record.Finally once the child is born my colleague is correct - the law says that a child is entitled to have contact with both parents.However in view of the circumstances the only offer you should make should be contact at a local contact centre for an hour a week.If he sticks to it fair enough - if he doesn't (more likely) then if he makes an applictaion to the court he has nothing to fearPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters