Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I would like to ask three questions: 1. What is the difference between divorce, dissoluti

I would like to ask three questions:
1. What is the difference between divorce, dissolution of marriage and separation?
2. I am going to live separately from my husband of 15 years. Do I have the right for spousal maintenance?
3. Living separately, do I have the right to claim his state pension after his death?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
1. Divorce is between married people - and effectively ends the marriage. Dissolution is between civil partners. Judicial separation is used when parties have separated but do not wish to divorce (for example if there are cultural or religious reasons)
2. This will depend on your needs and your income, as well as the needs of any children you have care of. If your income does not meet your needs then you are able to claim for spousal maintenance as well as other financial provisions if appropriate.
3. You may be entitled to some of his state pension if you have not built up a full state pension on your own record. This can be considered so long as you have not remarried before you reach your state pension age.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.