Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I co-own a property with my girlfriend. I bought out

Customer Question

I co-own a property with my girlfriend. I bought out her ex-husband from the mortgage approx 12 months ago. My partner has two children from her previous marriage that live with us. I suspect our relationship has broken down beyond repair and want to know what considerations I should make as I negotiate the next few months. As my girlfriend and her two children have lived in the house since the children were born (aged 10/11) I suspect it would be difficult to force her to sell the property so how do I safeguard my equity stake in the property and move on? I am the main income provider
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Was a declaration of trust or cohabitation agreement made?
If not then your respective shares will be as they are hold on the title. If you cannot agree a settlement and she wishes to stay in the property, she can pursue an application to court to stay in the property until the children finish higher education, after which the property can be sold and equity split as the title is held.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.