Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am separated, and with a 2.5 year old son. His father has

I am separated, and with a 2.5 year old son.
His father has made no voluntary contributions and I am receiving very minimum contributions via the child support agency. his father has not wanted to see him since September 2014,and has contacted me so let him see our son.
What are my rights please?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Are you/were you married to the father?
If you were not married then the father's financial liability towards your son is as calculated by the child support agency/child maintenance service. This will be calculated based on his gross income.
Other than that, the only other recourse for financial assistance would be under Schedule 1 of the Children Act in relation to financial support in order for your son to be housed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.I note that your query was not about finances but about contact.You need to be aware that the courts do NOT link contact and maintenanceThe law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.It is inevitable that your ex obtain an order allowing him to see the child if he applies to the court - so = if you wish to continue to have control over the matter you need to offer some form of contact An offer of two hours a fortnight in a local contact centre would be seen as being reasonable - you can be sure that your child is safe - and it will be up to your ex to show the commitment to the child by attending regularly - and if he fails to do so then that will be the end of the matterYou should offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediationwww.familymediationehlpline.co.ukYou may also find this site usefulhttp://theparentconnection.org.uk/