How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34234
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I need advice on the welfare of my daughter, she is 14 and

Resolved Question:

I need advice on the welfare of my daughter, she is 14 and has got herself pregnant, she was groomed by my ex partners boyfriend, but unfortunately my daughter didn't give evidence and he was not charged. The other issue I have is the education welfare officer (EWO) which has been appointed she is not telling me what is going on with regards ***** ***** daughters welfare and I feel that I'm always left in the dark.
what I want to know if there is a legal route I can take to make sure I'm informed of any of my children's welfare and that will include my son as well.
many regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Were you married to her mother or did you acquire Parental Responsibility for your daughter in some other way?How old is your son?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ***** was married to her mother, we got divorced this year, it was agreed we both had joint responsibility for both my daughter and my sonMy son is 13
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Who do the children live with and has the EWO actually refused to speak to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children live with there mother, I don't think she has refused I think what she doing is complying to my daughters wishes by not speaking to me, my gripe is that should be informed at all times even though my daughter does not want me to know, just to be kept informed, it seems to me that im kept in the dark over everything and only get told when the situation becomes really bad if that makes sense
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you contacted the EWO?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have text her but have got no reply
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
have you tried calling her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've done all that
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there any specific information that she has refused to give you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It not about the information it's when I get told, I always find out after the event! For example when my daughter got expelled from school, I only found out when she was getting into a new school. All I won't is to be told when it happens and not later down the road
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What contact do you have with the children on a regular basis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have regular contact, and they stay with me once a month
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I do understand your frustration at the fact that you are always doing the asking - and I certainly understand what you mean about only being involved whenthings get bad.What I am less clear about is what exactly you wish to achieve in terms of who you wish to communicate with you?Do the school communicate with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I'm looking for where I stand legally on what is told to me and what isn't, if my ex wife don't want to tell surly this EWO has a legal obligation to inform me even though it will be against my daughter wishes, as her father I should be entitled no?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
OK. That is helpful.So what evidence do we have of this happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a text from my ex wife saying that the EWO back her up in not telling me straight away
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any reason to believe what your ex says?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have no reason what's so ever she lied in the past
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I think she is lying again now and the EWO probably said no more than "it is your decision"
No court will issue an Order stating that you must be contacted by a health or education professional after every contact they have with your ex or your daughter
However you can insist that you are notified of every appointment date - and sent a copy of every letter so that you are aware of when things may be happening and can make phone calls as necessary.
If the children were younger then I would have suggested a communications book, but given their ages the court is likely to say that the children themselves are capable of telling you what they wish you to know.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you